This weekend I finally got the drip irrigation system installed in the back garden. This was the first time that I had installed such a system, so it was a bit of a learning experience. Going into it, I had an idea in my head of how it was going to look and function. As with many things in life, we get into it and something that you don’t expect comes up. Since the plans were in my head, yes… I know better… the basic layout was simple, there were jut a few things that came up that could have been avoided had I had a plan drawn out ahead of time.
Starting at the hose bib, as with just about all projects you have to start at the beginning (DUH) I rolled out the 1/2″ line to see where I wanted to splice in the first tee. Piece of cake, no issues, make the first cut. From the tee, splitting off, I run about four feet of 1/2″ line to feed two 1/4″ lines that will be watering my hops. Check, piece of cake.
On to the raised beds. This is the point at which a drawn plan would have come in handy. You see, my beds are offset a little bit. They are ab out two feet apart, but one is about three feet closer to the house then the other. So I guess the length of 1/2″ hose I am going to need and how I want to connect each bed to the main line. Oh, I forgot to mention that the fittings are friction fittings, you push the tubing into the fitting and it will not allow you to pull the tubing out. I had connected the left hand bed top the tee and the right hand bed to the elbow. Which put the left hand feed line about ix inches from the edge of the bed. Well… it wasn’t pretty, but you can actually get the tubing out of the fittings. Minor issue, but it was something that was completely avoidable. From here I used some 1/4″ pre “drippered” tubing to do the job inside the beds. Not sure I will be completely happy with the 12″ spaced dripper tubing, but we shall see how it goes, all of the base work is done, all I would have to do is change a couple of parts to get the desired effect.
So now, I do not have to worry about the plants getting over watered or forgotten when I go on a trip and have the watering taken care of. I also invested a little bit more money and purchased an inline timer for the system, so that it is even less maintenance. I think my hops will end up doing much better with a consistent watering schedule. Time will tell.